Saturday 9 June 2012

The Sun, the Moon and the Shark

This was a story which, appeared in the news a while ago.  It's actually from my Physics coursework (it's not really physics, but it was in my physic lesson, so that sort of counts), it's about how the media misrepresents scientific discoveries. I love that I can write rants in my coursework and prove that there really are some idiots out there. 

The Sun ran the story that the killer shark that killed a man in the Seychelles was guided to the bay by the moon. The source of this story says that the shark will strike again at the full moon. The source for this was a fisherman. This story lacks sense as well as science since they based the attacks on two people who were killed by apparently two different sharks. Science wise, the tide is higher at a full moon so there would be a greater chance at the time to see a water dwelling creature. But it doesn’t mean that sharks hunt by it, they are sharks not fictitious werewolves.        

- Guildenstern (With science brain fully functioning due to the editing of my science essays. You're lucky you just have this story. I promise I won't post my explanation of the Acid Dissociation Constant. Yes, I'm a huge science geek. Sorry.)   


No comments:

Post a Comment